Thursday, February 5, 2009

Doubt he opts for Wheaties when he gets the munchies

Wow, man -- I can smell all the colors!
Ever since seeing the story and now-infamous picture of Michael Phelps with his lips Hoovering up the smoky goodness from a bong at a University of South Carolina party, I've just been really bugged. I'm notsomuch bothered by the fact that he, like a fairly shocking 42% of the rest of the nation, chose to inhale. He's a grownup (mostly), so I'm going to give him the same leeway that I'd give others to make that choice for themselves.

What really sticks in my craw, however, is that he clearly suffers from one of two maladies: either he's blissfully ignorant of the myriad examples of other notable/infamous celebs caught with their virtual britches down, or he's so inexcusably self-absorbed that he thought he'd never get caught. In either case, I really have no sympathy for him -- and I say this as a fan of the guy and what he's accomplished in the pool.

Michael, a quick reminder list for the next time you attend a party:
  1. Everyone has a picture phone or video camera.
  2. The kids nowadays love to post anything and everything on teh Intertubes.
  3. You are famous.
  4. Posting compromising photos of famous people online is the closest most of the unwashed masses will ever come to touching the Divine.
  5. Don't be stupid.
This public service announcement brought to you by People With More Common Sense Than You. We now return you to regularly scheduled programming.

No comments: