Friday, July 11, 2008

Technology's GREAT! . . .when it works

How long before some perv creates X-rated app icons?
So, the nation's abuzz with word of the latest iteration of the iPhone. [ZOMG -- 3G!!!1] Ordinarily, I wouldn't care less, since I want AT&T as my cell carrier about as much as I want tickets to the NKOTB reunion tour. One small item, however, won me over . . . coinciding with the new iPhone's release is a software update for both the older iPhone (read: expensive brick) and the iPod Touch, which yours truly happens to own and love. While Touch owners have to pony up $9.99 for the software upgrade, said software allows us access to a bevy of applications for our iPods through iTunes: mobile eBay, New York Times news items, Super Monkey Ball, and -- for the middle-aged stalkers among us -- Facebook and MySpace.

I went ahead and upgraded to iTunes 7.7 yesterday (thankfully!) in order to take advantage of the apps, but have as of yet been wildly unsuccessful in downloading the software upgrade for the Touch. I take cold comfort in stories that the chuckleheads who waited all night in lines in front of Apple stores across this great land are also having similar problems activating their new toys through iTunes. Just get it done, I says to Apple. Mmkay?

No comments: